Sunday, May 13, 2012

Jucuapa at Last!


We arrived in Jucuapa safe and sound on Friday night. With te two hour time difference, Lainey and I had been up almost 24 hours, so we quickly went to bed. Saturday morning, we ate breakfast with the missionary Debbie Hawk, and she told us a bit about the town and what we'll be doing here. Yesterday afternoon we had quite an adventure as we went to a concert with the youth group in San Salvador. The music was very good, but I was so exhausted I almost slept through the whole thing. That is, until a stinkin monsoon came. It was an outdoor theatre and it just started dumping buckets. It was a rather comical situation since neither Lainey nor I brought rain jackets. Here we are exhausted at this concert we can't even understand and now we're soaking wet. I couldn't help but laugh a little bit.

I tried uploading a picture, but it wasn't working, so I'll try later. El Salvador is a beautiful country. The town we are staying in is rather small, and there is a lot of poverty. Miguel, our host father, told us there is a big problem with crack and alcohol in the town, and you can see a lot of drunk people walking around asking for money. Our host family is wonderful though. Vivian is very very sweet, and although she thinks she doesn't speak good english, she really does. She shared a lot about herself with us yesterday, and she reminds me a bit of my mom because she worries a whole lot.

While I'm sure I'll love it here, right now I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I often feel sick, I think because of the heat. I get very upset because I can't communicate well with the people. Lainey's spanish is very good though, and she's been teaching me. I'm a pretty quick learner so hopefully I can communicate better as the weeks go on. Please pray that God gives me strenghth and peace of heart because right now I'm struggling. But I know my God is there for me all rhe time, and I want to find his purpose for me here.

Dios Le Bendiga (God bless you)


No comments:

Post a Comment