Saturday, May 26, 2012

Walking with Jesus

Today was a day of firsts. I had my first public bus ride, my first taxi ride, and my first eggnog ice cream with raisins. After a half day at the clinic, Lainey and I were invited to travel to San Miguel with Miriam and her two kids Lydia and Joel. It was quite an experience catching a bus and just following along when we had no idea what was going on. Our first taxi driver practiced some english with us which was a plesant surprise. Then when we arrived at the mall, we had chinawok. I gotta say it wasn't the best chinese I've had..... and I felt pretty sick afterwards. It was a great trip though. I loved watching Joel, who is 7, light up every time he saw a toy helicopter. And Miriam is one of the funniest people I know, and I can't even understand her! ha ha. When we decided to get ice cream I was overwhelmed by them shouting questions at me in spanish so I just pointed to a flavor. That's when I experienced eggnog with raisins... I hated it, but apparently it is very popular here... go figure. We also went to an arcade, and again I was struck by the normality of life here. Five of us played multiple games of air hockey, and it was the most fun I've had in a while. Then Lainey and I had a showdown at dance dance revolution. Lainey drew a crowd with her particularly poor dancing, but it was a blast.

When we finally got a taxi and chased down an overly crowded bus, I had time to think about my day. I realized I'd been walking with Jesus today. I saw Him in Joel's smile, in Miriam's laughter, and in Lydia's gentle spirit. I've been in Jucuapa two weeks, and today I was treated like family. It was like Lainey and I were long time family friends. In no time, this family, and other families have welcomed us into their lives with open arms. Isn't that what Jesus does? He loves us with open arms no matter what. He does not ask how we've sinned, what we've done wrong, who we are....He just invites us to come to Him. I couldn't help but think that you never know where you're gonna meet Jesus.

We finally got to the church, tonight was youth group, and we wre only 1 hour late. :) It's okay because we're on El Salvador time. We played games, and I felt so much like myself. I cut loose and made jokes. I did not skimp on my smiles and laughter, and I just loved on people. Sometimes people just need to be loved on you know? Maricela asked me to french braid her hair, which I've done once on an American girl doll....but I gave it my best shot. Then another girl asked me, and I was defeated by her layers.. I'm clearly gonna need to practice. We had bible trivia also, and I can tell I'm definitely picking up on this spanish thing. I could understand about half of the questions without Sammy translating for me. By the time I leave, I'll be fluent!

I praise God for the time I've had here so far, and I thank Him for the experiences I am yet to have. These next four weeks will go by so fast, so I pray I do not waste a moment, but that I am a humble servant unto the Lord every second.

Tomorrow morning Timmy and I are making pancakes!! Yum

No comments:

Post a Comment