Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Girls will be Girls

No matter where you are in the world, girls will be girls. Today I truly became one of the nurses as we spent MOST of the day having girl talk. It all started when Lainey told Miriam I had a boyfriend, and then the rest of the day was spent talking about the boys in each of our lives. One thing I learned is that people are VERY romantic in El Salvador. Dolores' boyfriend said something along the lines of "I want to eat you with kisses" and she said something like "your body is so rich." I was shocked and they asked me, "Well what do you talk about with your boyfriend?" I said, "Well I mostly ask him about his day and we talk about our faith in God." Apparently that isn't enough. I'll soon try out the line, I want to eat you with kisses. Man, I'm still laughing about that.

In all seriousness though, today was a day for fostering relationships. The clinic is really slow on Wednesday, and apparently Thursday and Friday too. But in that time, God allowed me to get to know people better. I know the nurses so much better now. It is humbling the way they call me friend, and even though we don't speak the same language, they can love me so deeply. We also go to know Dr. Franco very well. He is a funny funny man. He is supposed to be practicing his english, so we try to help him, but it ends up being him teaching us spanish. I did teach him some Italian words though. Finally, I feel like I got to know the Rodriguez family much better tonight. We spent some time all just sitting in the living room talking. It was the simple mundane things that make you feel close, like helping Timmy with his Psychology lab report or talking to Sammy about college decisions.

I am incredibly blessed to experience the love and hospitality everyone here has shown me. My prayer is that I can return that in some way. I told Vivian and Sammy that I'd cook some authentic Italian pasta for them sometime. And maybe I can make a cake for Sammy's birthday on June 5th. It is clear to me that God has a plan for me here, and now I surrender my life to Him because it is not my life to live. Galatians 2:20.

Buenos Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment