Tuesday, May 15, 2012

"And surely I am with you always"

"Y les aseguro que estare con ustedes siempre" Indeed our God is with us always. I know you all have been praying for me because the last two days have been so much better. I am beginning to adjust to this very different time, and I even beginning to think in Spanish. So basically, no mucho pienso. (Hey Cole, if you see this, I'll know if you are REALLY reading my blog).

Today started out as a very slow day. Yesterday the clinic had the most patients it has ever had in the 7 months it has been open. In contrast, today was VERY slow. I still gave 3 shots today though, and most of the rest of the time was spent making or wrapping guaze. It is very interesting how they make it. I'm not sure if they do that in the states or not. But just as I thought the day was slow, I found myself in the TV show ER. One of the nurses walked over with a note written out and as she read it she said in poor english, "Do you like ice cream?" Of course, my heart skipped a beat because I LOVE ice cream. Today was las dias de enfermeras so Dr. Araujo brought ice cream to celebrate. We had just gathered to eat our fresa and chocolate ice cream when there is a scream and someone runs through the door with a baby in their arms. The doctors and nurses throw down their ice cream and rush the baby into the pequena cirugia room. I literally felt like I was watching a show. Just as the nurses and doctors take a breather and start to have some fun, all heck breaks loose.

Ms. Vivian immediately started praying, and while I didn't know what was going on, I could see the worry in the doctors' eyes. I stayed out of the way, but Dr. Araujo called me in and said I should watch. It turns out the baby's fever had gotten so high he stopped breathing. They got him breathing again, and then they put a nebulizer on him and gave him an injection. They had a very difficult time finding the baby's vein because they are so small, but eventually they found one in his foot. As I saw the worry and fear in the doctors, nurses, and family, I just prayed that God be with them. And I know that surely he is with us always. The baby was fine, and I was thankful for the doctors in this clinic.

Straight from the clinic we went to the church for "meditation." They sang two fabulous english songs in spanish. Chelsea, they sang revelation song! They also sang Come now is the time to worship. They last song was in spanish. Then Ms. Vivian preached, and I don't know what she said, but she was really into it! I really wish I could understand. I pray everyday that I can learn this language quickly so I can form even closer relationships with these people and can worship with them more fully. Regardless, it was clear that the holy spirit was moving in the church. There was a long time of prayer, and many people were crying and shouting praise to God. When it ended, Ms. Vivian said to me, "I know you don't understand what is said, but you can feel the presence of God no matter what." And again I thought of "Surely I am with you always."

My God lives in me, and it is not my life to live but His. My prayer is this: "Take my life and let it be, consecrated Lord to thee."

Dios Le Bendiga

No comments:

Post a Comment