Sunday, May 13, 2012

Church in Jucuapa

Today we went to church, and while I didn't understand a lot of it, it is clear they have a wonderful ministry there. I stayed in the adult Sunday school, and they practiced evangelizing to each other. Then next week, they are going to go out and actually evangelize in the community. We found out today that most of Jucuapa are religious but many are apostolic or catholic and don't have an understanding of Jesus Christ. The music was also wonderful this morning. The youth led the worship, and they even sang two english songs in spanish, "Here I am to Worship" and "I am a friend of God."

After church, the Hawk's took us to Alegria for lunch. It's a small town near an extinct volcano, so there was a beautiful overlook. The food was muy delicioso. David's brother and his wife were there for lunch because they are on their way driving up to the states. They are stopping in and visiting all the missionaries on the way in Mexico and Texas. After lunch we walked around Alegria a bit, and it was a cute little town with lots of souvenirs. If you have requests let me know ;).

We then did some grocery shopping and watched Law and Order! Some good normal American things. at 5:00 pm we went to a very poor part of Jucuapa and did a bible study type things with the kids. They memorized bible verses, played games, and had a bible story told. It was a lot of fun, and I enjoy interatching with the kids. It's also a good opportunity for me to improve my spanish. I've found despacio to be important so I can tell them to SLOW DOWN when they talk. They talk muy rapido!

We then had dinner with the Hawk's in the park. I had a very delicious pork burrtio, and it seemed the park was a popular place for dinner because we saw a lot of people from the church there tonight. Tomorrow Lainey and I are going to the clinic bright and early at 7 am.

Today I was struck by the poverty in the area that we worked with the kids. This one girl broke both her arms trying to pick fruit to sell for her family. Her father also broke his leg from falling out of a tree while picking fruit. A lot of those kids come to the church on Sunday morning without their parents. So the hope is that the parents will then start to come as well. The people in the church are wonderful and truly serve the Lord. I am excited and blessed to be a part of the ministry.

Another observation was just how normal the life of a missionary can be sometimes. They sit around the house sometimes and watch tv. They do grocery shopping, and they take naps. I'm not sure why, but I always had this idea of being a missionary in my head and it wasn't quite this. They are very much like a normal family.

Well enough for today. I am excited to visit the clinic tomorrow! Buenos Noches

No comments:

Post a Comment