Thursday, May 24, 2012

No mas aburrimiento

Praise God for a FABULOUS day. One word I've definitely had ingrained in my mind since I've arrived is aburrido, I am bored. While the clinic has been fantastic, there are many days that are very slow, and yes I get bored. But today I had a change of scenery. Instead of being with the nurses, I spent the day in the laboratory.

It was a familiar place for a biology major.  There were centrifuges, microscopes, test tubes and more. I couldn't do any of the work, but I got to see so many cool things. I saw crystals in urine, parasites in feces, various cells in blood, and so much more. It was a day full of learning, and if I thought biology was fun in english, it is even MORE fun in spanish. My brain was working on full power today as I tried to translate everything that was being said to me while learning new procedures. But I loved it. I love learning, and the women in the lab were a lot of fun. The best part was probably cleaning out the test tubes that had clotted blood in them... j/k. It was neat though.

The best part was after we'd cleaned the lab up, the lab tech taught Patti and I how to do a platelet count. The slide ws split into quadrants on a grid, and we had to count the platelets in five different quadrants. At the end, Patti and I had both counted 50 while the lab tech got 51. Success!

I have saved the best for last though. On top of a great day in the laboratory, I got to watch the extraction of lymphoma. Dr. Araujo removed two lymphocytes from behind a man's ear. While he numbed the area, the man was still awake so to get his mind off the surgery, we played his favorite music. Metallica. I can't explain the smile I had on my face as Dr. Araujo sung and grooved while stiching up a man's ear. Good times. Small blessings.

Now to switch subjects a little bit. I've noticed a few things that you'd never see in America.
1. Cows blocking the road
2. Men with BIG guns guarding every store
3. Men walking down the road with machettes
4. Lots of public drunkedness
5. Washing every coverslip, every test tube, every microscope slide

In America we are much more wasteful. In the lab at school we just throw away our slides when we're done, but here we washed every single one. It just made me think of how priveleged we are in America, and how much more grateful we should be. I am reminded every day of how God blesses me, and how unworthy I am. Yet instead of giving me what I deserve, he has forgiven me and promised me eternal life with Him. Wow God's grace is so powerful, so wonderful. I praise Him today and everyday!

Dios Le Bendiga

No comments:

Post a Comment