Friday, June 15, 2012

Solamente Un Semanas Mas

After 5 weeks here, it's hard to believe this is my last week in El Salvador. I've come to realize that God is always with me, guiding me in this life through experiences such as this. My prayer was that I would have discernment on this trip, and God has certainly provided that. It is clear to me that God has a plan for me, and there is no need to worry about tomorrow. My experience here has made me even more excited for what the future holds, and I am daily falling more in love with my Savior.

I have become so acutely aware of my many blessings. Except for two hours a day, we haven't had running water here for two weeks. Water is definitely something I've taken for granted, and until you don't have it, you never realize how important it is for cooking, cleaning, laundry, and especially bathing. People here live such simple lives with only what they need. The grocery store is small and has mostly essentials. In America, we are bombarded by so many choices and so much abundance, we often don't know what to do. Why do we have such a need to live in such excess? I appreciate the opportunities I was provided, and I thank my father for always providing for our family. Why did I deserve to be born into a place where I had so much freedom, so many opportunities, and lived in such abundance? It doesn't make sense to me why some people are born into wealth and others are born wondering when they'll get their next meal. But I praise my God for the blessings I've experienced here, and it has been so humbling to spend five weeks among this wonderful community.

I have definitely been learning how to be a more humble servant. I'm so used to serving God in a leadership role, but here in El Salvador, I have learned how to be a humble servant and actively look for the needs of others. I have been learning to lower myself and serve those in any way I can, in a more supportive role than leadership role. I pray I can be more like Christ in the way I serve and humbly approach the throne of God.

Today my mom and dad returned from Mexico, and I couldn't help but run to them and greet them with a great big hug. And as Sammy and I fought to hug Miguel, and he kissed me on the cheek, I couldn't help but feel like a family. And I got a glimpse of what it might be like to spend eternity in heaven with our family in Christ. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and it will be beautiful when we all worship at the feet of Jesus together.

I have seen so much and experienced God in so many ways, and while I don't want it to end, I am excited to take what I've learned and apply it to the ministries I am involved with back home. I pray God continues to work through me, and that I might be his humble servant.

I will miss this place and these people so much, but I pray I might see them again one day. But I must wait and see what God has in store.

Dios Le Bendiga

No comments:

Post a Comment