Saturday, June 23, 2012

It is Finished

This trip has finally come to an end, and these last few days were some of the most blessed days of my whole six weeks in El Salvador. Wednesday, Miriam and Doctora Sanchez took Lainey and I out to dinner in San Miguel. We first saw Dra. Sanchez's beautiful house, and then we met her husband and Buffalo Wings. Yes, we did go to Buffalo Wings in El Salvador, and we had a BLAST. We shared so many laughs, and I felt just as if I was home and out with some of my friends at college. It was amazing to share such a wonderful time with them. Then on the car ride home, we introduced them to Nutella, and I must say it was the best 30 minute car ride ever. There is nothing like nutella and girl talk with Miriam.

Thursday, we helped Debbie prepare for the team that was coming, and although we were all a little stressed with the amount to do, I was glad I got to see a glimpse of what it's like for them when teams come. Debbie and David both put so much time and energy into preparing for them, and I admire how Debbie literally spends all day cooking amazing meals for so many people. She is a wonderful humble servant of God. So we helped out any way we could, making banana nut muffins for the team and cooking dinner for Debbie. We made Rosemary Lemon Chicken. Delicious.

Yesterday could not have been any more perfect for our last day. We had breakfast with the team and then headed to the clinic to say goodbye to all of our friends. I've never been good at goodbyes, but it was nice to take some final pictures and share those final moments with these special people. They touched my life, and I wanted to touch theirs as well. Be looking for pictures on facebook of the doctors and us...funny stuff.

After lunch, we walked around with the team, and it was an odd feeling because I felt more like a Latin in that moment than an American. I was so familiar with the culture and people of Jucuapa that I was the one answering their questions and telling them about the culture. It really was a weird feeling to be on the other side of things. I constantly was thinking about when I take a team to the Dominican Republic, and I was hoping we were not as....American in the way we presented ourselves. It definitely made me more aware of being culturally aware.

We has our last English class, and even though it was raining and the school was locked, 5 students showed up. We took them back to the Hawks to have class in the garage, and we played jeopardy. It was a truly wonderful ending to that class, and I was touched that they showed up when rain so often stops people from going places in Jucuapa.

After dinner, we did our evaluation with the Hawks, and it certainly provided some closure as we shared openly, and less sarcastically than normal, how we felt about the trip and each other. God was present in that moment, and I thank Him for the discernment he provided to all of us.

When we finally arrived at the Rodriguez's an hour later than we were supposed to, we were surprised to find the whole youth group there to say their final goodbyes. It was such a blessing and I thank Sammy and Timmy for planning that. Each person said something to us, and we share some last words with them. Then of course we ate food and sang songs. It was sad but also provided so much closure. I pray that God spoke through me when I left them with one last piece of advice.

It's humbling how the lats few days we have been showered with gifts and thanks, when I feel like I should be thanking them! They are the ones who accepted us into their homes and communities so willingly, and I do not deserve all they have done for me. They are special people, and Jucuapa has a special place in my heart. I know I will always remember the laughter and memories I shared with these people, and I pray God continues to foster these relationships. One day I will see them again, if not on this Earth than in Heaven when we worship our holy, loving Father.

Dios Le Bendiga

No comments:

Post a Comment